Ecological Transition submits to the public information the Strategic Environmental Assessment of the updated draft of PNIEC 2021-2030


The EAE facilitates the incorporation of sustainability criteria in strategic decision making, through the evaluation of plans and programs, ensuring that the achievement of the objectives of the PNIEC is compatible with an adequate prevention of the specific environmental impacts that are can generate, while establishing correction or compensation recommendations.

This is the last procedure prior to the final approval of the plan by the European Comission, which already has an update of it integrated all the recommendations that were raised in Brussels. This new version of the PNIEC has also taken into account the allegations received in the public consultation process opened last February 2019 and includes new measures and greater detail in the information, reinforcing the objectives.

The updated draft of the PNIEC proposes a path of decarbonization for the next decade solid and coherent with the increase in ambition towards climate change that the European Commission has raised, in compliance with the Paris Agreement, the indications of climate science and the demands of citizenship. Specifically, proportionally, the level of effort in reducing emissions of the updated draft is aligned with the fork between 50% and 55% in which it is expected to place the new climate objective of the European Union by 2030. In that way, they establish a consistent basis to progress towards the climatic neutrality of our country, that is, achieve zero net emissions no later than 2050.

The measures contemplated in the document will allow the following results to be achieved in 2030:

  • 23% reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions compared to 1990. These are two percentage points more than in the first version of the plan.
  • The presence of renewables in the final use of energy is doubled (energy used in all applications demanded by our society, including, for example, transport or industry). The weight of renewable energies in final energy consumption evolves from around 20% that is expected to reach in 2020 to 42% in 2030.
  • Energy efficiency will improve by 39.5% in the next decade.
  • In the case of electricity generation, three out of every four kilowatt hours consumed – 74% – will be of renewable origin in 2030, consistent with a trajectory towards a 100% renewable electricity sector in 2050.

Socio-economic Analysis

The updated draft of the PNIEC improves the analysis of the effects of this model change on the Spanish economy and industry, employment and public health. The mobilization of investments, energy savings and a mix in which renewable energies – more affordable – are the protagonists, will allow Spanish GDP to increase by 1.8% in the period compared to a scenario without measures. It is important to note that the macroeconomic estimates of the updated draft of the PNIEC have been made ensuring compliance with the Stability and Growth Pact adopted by the countries that make up the EU.

Net employment will increase between 250,000 and 350,000 people at the end of the period. This is an increase of 1.7% compared to a scenario without the PNIEC measures. These new jobs will reduce the unemployment rate between 1.1% and an additional 1.6%.

A mobilization of 241.4 billion euros is estimated between 2021 and 2030, which will be used primarily to boost renewables, savings and efficiency measures, and electrification and network work. 80% of these investments will be made by the private sector. The remaining 20% ​​will be investments of the different public administrations, including European financing.

The measures contained in the updated draft of the PNIEC not only reduce GHG emissions but also those of the main primary pollutants associated with air quality. Thus, the proposed actions will reduce the level of PM2.5 particles – the most harmful to health – by 33% compared to the trend scenario. In the case of sulfur dioxide (SO2), the reduction is 38% and in terms of nitrous oxides (NOx), the decrease is 35%.

The health co-benefits of the updated draft of the Plan have been estimated in a reduction in the number of premature deaths due to air pollution of about 2,400 fewer premature deaths in 2030 compared to the trend scenario. This implies a 27% reduction.

Both texts are accompanied by a (non-technical) summary of the EAE study; the analysis "Economic, employment, social and public health impact of the updated draft of PNIEC 2021-2030"; and the document called" Synthetic document of the updated draft of PNIEC 2021-2030 ". Once the period of public consultation of the EAE study is concluded and new contributions are incorporated, if appropriate, the document will be ready for final submission to the European Commission.



Source of new