The Minister of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda, José Luis Ábalos as delegated competent authority in his areas of responsibility under the Royal Decree 463/2020, and in accordance with the Minister of Health, has issued a Ministerial Order establishing the following transport measures to be applied to the connections between the peninsula and the Autonomous Community of the Balearic Islands, in order to protect people, property and places:
- As of today, March 19, it is prohibited to carry out any type of flight from the peninsula to the Balearic airports, allowing only basic connectivity with the Islands.
- From this date, the Balearic Islands will be connected to the peninsula through air links with Madrid and Barcelona.
The connections between the islands of Mallorca and Menorca and Eivissa will also be maintained.
- As of today, the disembarkation of passengers from passenger ships and recreational vessels of all kinds in the ports of the Balearic Islands, including inter-island traffic, with the exception of drivers of the tractor heads of the rolled merchandise, is also prohibited.
- Only three daily frequencies are allowed between the islands of Formentera and Eivissa, and the activity of all vessels and recreational vessels used for recreational or sports purposes or in nautical leasing is also limited
- At 00:00 hours on March 18, all executive aviation landings, air taxis or similar operations have been prohibited.
The order establishes a series of transport limitations, authorizing only one daily flight to each company that has scheduled flights between certain destinations on the peninsula and the islands, as well as air connections between islands. Likewise, the transport of passengers by sea is prohibited except for extraordinary situations and except between Eivissa and Formentera.
The established prohibitions will not apply to State aircraft, exclusively cargo flights, positional, humanitarian, medical or emergency flights, to State ships, to ships that carry cargo exclusively, or to ships that carry out navigations with humanitarian, medical or emergency purposes.
Following the procedure established in the aforementioned Order, several companies communicated yesterday to the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda their interest in operating basic connectivity between the peninsula and the Islands.
In this way, the authorized frequencies between the peninsula and the Balearic Islands are shown in the following table:
No company has shown its intention to provide air connectivity services between islands, so an award procedure will be carried out throughout the day to allow the provision of these services.
The airlines will report the corresponding schedules on their web pages and usual means.
This order will be in force from its publication in the "Official State Gazette" and until the end of the period, the state of alarm or until there are circumstances that justify a new Order.