• The number of employed exceeds 18 million after the creation of 544,700 jobs in the last twelve months
  • Most of the 182,200 new jobs created in the third quarter come from the private sector
  • The unemployment rate has decreased 2.5 points in the last year and reaches 21.18% of the active population
  • Full-time employment rises by 250,000 people in the quarter and part-time employment falls by 67,800
  • The number of households with all their active members unemployed decreased in the third quarter by 84,600, to 1.57 million

The data from the Labor Force Survey (EPA) corresponding to the third quarter of the year show that the recovery of the labor market is accelerating in Spain. According to data published by the National Statistics Institute (INE), the number of unemployed fell by a record 576,900 people in the last twelve months and the unemployment rate fell to 21.18% of the active population. Employment is recovering at an annual rate of 3.1%, the highest rate since the third quarter of 2007, that is, before the recession, and the total number of employed persons now exceeds 18 million. In the last year, 544,700 people have found a job, and 182,200 in the last quarter alone, a figure higher than in any period between July and September also since before the recession. Almost all of the employment created comes from the private sector and is full-time.

Economic activity maintains a growth rate of over 3% so far this year, which translates into a balance in the labor market that recovers the vitality lost during the severe recession that started in 2008. EPA data from the third quarter also confirm that the current Legislature will close with better figures, both employment and unemployment, than those corresponding to the close of the previous one, at the end of 2011. The current year will mark a historical record in terms of a decrease in the number of unemployed, with the forecast of 650,000 fewer unemployed at the end of 2015. Progress is also being made towards the goal of reaching 20 million employed in the medium term.

The number of unemployed falls from five million in the third quarter of the year, for the first time since the same period in 2011, and stands at 4,850 million. A figure still high but that is being corrected in an important way already in the last two years. In the period between July and September 2015 and with respect to a year earlier, unemployment has dropped by 576,900 people, a historical record for any period since the statistic was recorded. With respect to the second quarter, 298,200 people have ceased to be unemployed, which places the rate on the active population at 21.18%, the lowest since the second quarter of 2011 and 2.5 points lower than the one a year ago. year. The number of households with all their members unemployed falls by 84,600 in the quarter, to 1,572 million.

Employment grows at an annual rate of 3.1%, a rate that represents an acceleration with respect to that registered in the previous eight years. In the last twelve months, 544,700 jobs have been created in Spain, the highest number since the third quarter of 2007, that is, before the start of the recession. In the third quarter of this year, 182,200 jobs have been created, the highest number for a third quarter since 2006. Of this number, 205,500 jobs are temporary, while the number of permanent employees has decreased by 18,900. In the year, permanent employment has increased by 178,100 people and temporary employment, by 357,700. 73.85% of salaried workers in Spain have a fixed contract, compared to 26.15% for temporary contracts, a rate that increases more than one point in the third quarter.

Most of the employment created in the third quarter is located in the services sector (210,200), followed by industry (13,100). Instead, it declines in agriculture and construction. In the last year, however, employment has risen in all sectors, especially in services, followed by industry, construction and agriculture. This is mostly full-time employment in the quarter (250,000 more people), while part-time employment declines (67,800 less). The percentage of people who work part-time drops one point, to 15.24%. In the last year, almost 80% of the employment created is full-time (up by 418,800) and the remaining 20%, part-time (125,900 more).

Source of the new